Saturday, May 9, 2009

I am really BACK!! "You are such a writing girl. But too rational!!" "Yes, I am a rational writing girl"

Helloooo,
I got a facebook message from my first love, who hasn't been in touch with me for 15 something years. It was like this: I checked my gmail account, (in fact, every single account for like,... every two hours...) and there popped up a name that sounded too unfamiliar. Isn't it pathetic to say that? But that was how I felt. I was wondering who the hell was that guy shooting me a message on facebook and I would swear not let him be my friend. And then, you know from gmail, that you can see the first line... and it goes like "Its(sic) nearly 20 years, got a feeling that I could find you in FB.Been hesitating to send this message..............
Throughout all these years , always want to say "sorry" to you."
Now, after I received his facebook message, a few things came to my mind (nothing romantic,no butterflies in my stomach, OK? I have no romantic feelings whatsoever. He is no longer my cup of tea! Just to set the record straight!!):
1) Facebook is really powerful!
2) Facebook is really damn powerful!!
3) Facebook is so damn powerful that it scares me!!

Of course, one of the reasons I joined facebook has nothing to do with its power. To be honest, I was too dumb to even realize why on earth people need this thing when we have emails and msn already. Anyway, my flatmates Kate and Janit wanted to keep in touch with me in the facebookish way after I left for fieldwork and so I nodded and joined and got addicted and pretty much now a facebook junkie checking it like every one or two hours. At first, I found the idea quite repulsive as I would need to update my stuff and upload my photos on my page. But then, I managed to find some of my long lost friends in the college who are now miles away in their hometown and then some of my ex-colleagues and I began to think that this is not such a bad idea to be able to share your updates without paying the phonebills calling tonnes of people. How smart!!

And then, along came my ex, who shared how he felt about me and what he has suffered (and achieved) of course for the past, I guess, if I remember correctly, 15 years (we broke up when I was 24 and we went out for 6 years). And then we exchanged 22 messages of which they are all long and intense (not romantic at all, please don't think otherwise.) emails of life and I turned into Aunt Agony and finally, I got a compliment (at least that's how I take it). "You are really a writing girl! But too rational!" And I replied: "Yes, I am really a writing girl. I am really a rational writing girl! That's what keeps me afloat." Yes, he is right. I am a writing girl. But I am not sure whether that floating part from my response is true. I guess I am floating, at least, for the moment.

Well, how can I not love facebook! Anything can happen in this virtual world. I guess something bizarre may happen again in no time. Facebook, I love you. And I am a writing girl; and you are one of my muses.

No comments: